I was lucky enough to be invited the other week to join in on a Dealer Day BLA were holding on their Humminbird Sounders, Minn Kota I-Pilot and Minn Kota Electric Anchor Spike – known as Talon.
This was very exciting to get a group and then a one on one view of the new things coming your way.
Firstly, I have outlined a few features that appeal to me about what the Humminbird Onix Series has to offer:-
- They will come in only an 8inch or 10inch module and offer either standard or OnixSI which will include down and side imaging.
- Cross touch interface – so you can either use the touch screen and or keys. Perfect situation in rainy and rough conditions.
- Multi Gesture Control – so rather than just one finger point to touch it, the unit will allow you to swipe, tap or pinch the screen also. A great use for this is zooming in and out of your waypoints.
- I loved the idea of saving up to 12 favourite screens. So if you like a few different views this is great for allowing you to have many different views such as switchfire screen, a switchfire screen along with showing GPS and side or down imaging etc; etc;
- A touch type keyboard, great idea so you don’t have to button through changing the name on your waypoints.
- A flywheel and joystick making it quick access to adjust settings. For example you can change the sensitivity on your sounder reading with a turn of the dial.
- The clarity on the screen was amazing with a resolution of 1024H x 768V
- These are just a few of the key features but it also exciting that you can add items such as 3D Imaging, HD Radar, Minn Kota I-Pilot Link, Humminbird AutoChart and it takes both Navionics and C-Map 4 cards
The Ion Series is a Multi Function Display unit, which allows you to mix and match a number of functions such as AutoPilot, Imaging Sonar, HD Radar, TriFuel Cartography for example you can access Navionics, C-Map and Humminbird Charts etc; etc. Standard it comes with a built in browser so you can surf the web to monitor weather conditions.
It offers a lot of the same features from above such as cross touch and multi gesture functions, screen clarity and the list goes on. It is only available in the 12inch and 10 inch models. The Ion Series I see best used in the larger boats such as gameboats that need a full management system. I am sure there are other uses you can think of in the boating industry.
The Minn Kota I-Pilot, what more can I say except I am excited to get to know how to use it all. Spot Lock has made fishing and holding in one spot so much easier. No anchors or trying to control the speed and direction to keep you in the one spot. It is all done automatically.
Linked to your Humminbird you can store up to 2500 spot lock locations, up to 50 tracks on your sounders and 16 on the I-Pilot Link (hand control). You can also direct your Minn Kota I-Pilot to Go to Waypoints and use the Advanced Autopilot.
Talon – Minn Kota Electric Anchor Spike, wow, I didn’t know BLA did these and I was most impressed to see it in action on dealer day. It spears up to 12 foot in a three-stage deployment. Available is also a remote control, foot switch and some optional robust mounting/tilting brackets.