1. What’s your name and where are you from?
Shayne Gillett from Lake Macquarie, NSW.
3. What was it that really got you into fishing and how old were you?
As a kid 5 years old growing up in Newcastle we would always ride our bikes to the harbour and fish from the wharf. When I was 12 we moved to Wangi on the water so when ever I wasn’t sailing I was in the row boat fishing.
My passion for bream fishing started about 8 years ago when my good mate Eric Cregan took me up Dora Creek surface lure fishing for bream, from that day on I was hooked.
4. What is your greatest fishing memory?
Winning the Lake Macquarie BETs round, 3 years ago with my best mate Kyle Prosper. I had just purchased the Ranger & it was my second competition fishing for Hobie.
5. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
Still surfing with my wife and four kids. Nothing beats the good times we have in the water.
I will be fishing bream comps and hopefully still be part of the Hobie fishing team. The gear I will be using will definitely be Daiwa.
6. What’s top of the “bucket list”?
A black Ranger Z521C and a lap around Bathurst in a V8 Supercar.
7. Who do you look up to in the fishing community?
Slick (Chris Wright). He is one of the best anglers in the country, just take look at the record books.